We offer a Montessori-based curriculum in multi-aged, open classroom settings. We also combine other educational approaches in order to meet the needs of all the children. As each child has his/her own unique personality and interests, it is our aim to provide a curriculum that inspires and nurtures these various needs of the children. Our open classroom style allows children to fully explore and pursue their special areas of interest. We, therefore, offer a program with an extremely stimulating math and language curriculum, as well as a program rich in arts and sciences.
The Preschool program is for children 3 to 51/2 years. The Elementary Program is for children K1 and 1 to 5th grade.
Our curriculum is theme-oriented and we access the wonderful resources we have in our families and community to make our learning as experiential and stimulating as possible.
Tara Redwood School bases its curriculum on the following values:
- Develop a deeper understanding of our unlimited potential
- Develop awareness of the effects of our actions on oneself, others and the environment
- Understanding our emotions in order to exercise the freedom to make skillful, compassionate and helpful choices.
2. Authentic Speech
- Speaking words that are helpful, kind, encouraging and complimentary.
- Refraining from speaking words with ill intent i.e ., divisive speech, lying, gossip, harsh speech, name-calling, belittling, and exclusion.
- Showing respect and compassion for all living beings (creatures great and small).
- Taking responsibility for helping others whenever possible.
- Being mindful not to harm or kill others.
- Practicing generosity and sharing our material belongings, our knowledge, our time and resources.
- Not taking that which has not been offered or does not belong to you.
- Practicing patience, respect, acceptance and forgiveness of differences
- Not responding with anger, jealousy, pride or resentment